Canada

Police locate man after reports of person with rifle forced 4 Toronto schools into lockdown | CBC News

Two Toronto schools are in lockdown and two are in hold and secure after reports of a man with a rifle walking near Maberley Crescent and Oxhorn Road in Port Union.

Toronto police said calls came in shortly before 1 p.m. on Thursday.

Police said they have located the man, who was described as in his late teens or early 20s, and is wearing a white ball hat and a three-quarter length coat.

Officers are on scene and have “discharged” a firearm, according to police tweets.

The suspect is injured and paramedics are on scene, police say.

“There is no wider threat to public safety,” police said shortly after 2 p.m.

Joseph Howe Senior Public School, Charlottetown Junior Public School, and Sir Oliver Mowat Collegiate Institute are on lockdown. Charlottetown Junior Public School was previously on lockdown, but has since moved into hold and secure along with Centennial Road Junior Public School, according to tweets from the Toronto District School Board.

William G. Davis Junior Public School is no longer on lockdown, according to a police tweet, which advises parents can now pick up their children.

A hold and secure is a school response to an incident in the general vicinity, but not on or near school property. The day continues as normal inside the school, the TDSB says, but as a precautionary measure, outer doors are locked and no one can come or go from the building.

Toronto Police Insp. Scott Purchase is expected to provide an update to the public at 3 p.m.

More to come.



File source
Washington News Post Latest Breaking News, Headlines
Washington News Post|| World News||USA News||Washington||
Celebrity News||Movie Review

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button